Specialties of EyeXcel
What We Do
EyeXcel might be known to many people as Knoxville’s eyecare provider, or simply as the place to get your eyes checked. Maybe you know one of our doctors by name more than you know the practice name of EyeXcel. However you know us, we are thankful for everyone that we get the pleasure of helping.
We pride ourselves in being more than just the place where you get glasses or contacts. Within the walls of the practice we hear almost daily “My doctor referred me here because of this condition, but I didn’t know why I was being sent to my eye doctor. I had no idea EyeXcel provided this level of care!” No matter the eye problem or what might be happening with your vision, if you are having a problem seeing, we have a desire to make it better. Our mission is to help you see the things that make life more enjoyable!
Drs. Rhyne, Patton & Gilliland is proud to be a full-service & specialty eye care practice. All of our doctors have years of experience and are very talented in the optometry profession. Whether you are coming to us for your annual eye exam, are facing a more serious disease or the weekend got a little crazy and there was an accident involving the eye, we can help.
General optometry is more than just getting a prescription for glasses or contacts. We do many specialty contacts, treat dry-eye syndrome and perform post-operative care and diabetic eye exams. We also see countless patients for everyday eye injuries resulting in many problems, such as:
- Taking a ball to the head during the ballgame or practice
- The birthday pinata festivities getting a little crazy
- Stabbing yourself in the eye with a hanger as you get the sweater off the rack
- Hitting a sidewalk sign head first because you were texting while walking
- Getting metal in the eye from welding or grinding
- Getting a sliver of wood in the eye from sanding or general woodworking
This list could be endless, but when life happens and things don’t go as planned, we are here to help. If you suspect something is not right or you have an ocular disease in your family history, come see us and let us serve all your eye care needs.
Our doctors and staff are extremely blessed to be able to help our patients when their eyes are just not working as they should. Do you see double or see things distorted? Do you regularly walk into doorframes or have trouble keeping your place as you read? Is your child extremely smart but still struggling in school and with homework?
Many kids and adults are diagnosed with dyslexia, or have been to physical therapy and still have trouble walking straight. We have seen countless patients who have balance issues and have had hearing therapy and are still having problems. Have you had a stroke or been in a car accident?
Many of the problems that we face are due to the brain not processing correctly, or senses fighting each other. This is similar to motion sickness. One sense says we are sitting still while the other sense says we are in motion. When our senses don’t agree, the sickness occurs. Our vision is our most dominant sense and many other problems manifest themselves when our brain is not in agreement with the information being sent from the eyes.
Unfortunately there are some of us that have sight that has or is deteriorating. This is definitely life-changing for anyone in this situation, but fortunately there are ways to help. We can help navigate and define a plan to deal with whatever condition or disease you or your loved one is facing.
Have you lost detail in your vision or are colors fading? Does your vision look different or have you noticed you are losing your peripheral vision?
There are many ways to deal with these conditions, such as:
- Specialized optical and low vision devices
- Specific methods of completing certain tasks
- Conventional glasses or specialized lenses
- Vision therapy or vision rehabilitation
- Ocular surgeries
No matter the problem, we are happy to help you or your loved one.
Below are listed some of our specialties; conditions we treat; or ways we provide care that go beyond other “eye” places. For more information please click the links below for more detail.
- Pediatric Eyecare
- Kids eye exams
- Children’s frames and glasses
- InfantSEE exams
- Binocular Vision
- Correcting eye turns
- Using prism lenses to correct or help many visual perception issues
- Learning related vision
- Having trouble reading or studying
- Inverting letters or words. Skipping words or lines
- Double Vision
- Learning Disabilities
- ADD & ADHD
- This diagnosis often relates to vision problems
- Eye diseases
- Diagnosing and treating
- Referral partners with specialists for major eye conditions
- Treating symptoms of stroke related to vision
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Nuerologic issues affecting the balance and visual systems
- Using specific techniques and tools to train the brain and eyes to work properly
- Training the visual system to work properly with the vestibular (balance) system
- Using the visual system to correct posture
- Sports Vision
- Program designed to enhance or correct the visual system related to sport activities
- Treating patients with reduced vision or more severe eye conditions or diseases that have damaged the visual system
- Using prism to regain vision field loss
- Scleral Contacts
- Contacts that control the progression of nearsightedness
- Many frame lines; insurance specific as well as popular designer brands